9/24/2009

Northern Ireland and Bruges

We're currently in Bruges, Belgium. We arrived on Monday night after a long day of travel from Northern Ireland. Our time in Northern Ireland was wonderful. We stayed in a set of cottages in a beautiful semi-rural farming area called Rostrever. We also made day trips into Dublin and Belfast. It was awesome being back in Belfast and revisiting reconciliation sites that I spent weeks learning about last summer.

Here in Belgium we've spent some time exploring this thirteenth century city and its striking architecture. We took a very touristy but extremely fun boat trip around the canals of the city on Tuesday. Yesterday we went around a huge portion of the Flanders area of Belgium seeing World War I sites. Today we have a free afternoon, and tomorrow it's on to Paris! We'll be in France for about a week before returning to Bruges for another five days.

Rostrever, Northern Ireland


Bruges, Belgium

4 comments:

  1. Did visiting the WWII museum in Belgium remind you of the time you recited "Fields of Flanders" at the cemetery for Memorial Day? (Okay, I know it was written in 1915, but still...).

    Appréciez le français mais soyez bon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet. I'm going to northern Ireland in October! And Belgium looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wanted to visit Ireland. Maybe someday. :( It looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete