8/27/2010

A Summer Update

At the request of some of my adoring fans (okay, I admit it: it was a few family members), I've decided to do a summer review here on my blog. I confess that I was not even close to being across the pond, but I was across the state, working as an interpretive ranger in Yosemite.


In full regalia

The summer got off to an interesting start; when I moved to Wawona in late May, it was still snowing.

My porch on Memorial Day


As a result of this very late winter, the waterfalls had more water in them than I've ever seen.

Upper Yosemite Fall

There was also an incredibly impressive display of wildflowers, which stuck around much longer than usual.

Dogwood


Harlequin Lupine


Indian Paintbrish

My job went well, and I gave most of the same programs as last summer and the one before, plus a few new ones. My favorite one to give is the evening campfire program about the indigenous Ahwahneechee people of Yosemite Valley. I also gave guided walks in the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias, hosted a morning "Coffee with a Ranger" program in the campground, worked in the Pioneer Yosemite History Center, and staffed the Visitor Center.

The Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias


Wawona Visitor Center

The summer was an interesting one because of all the traveling I did; for the first half of the season, I traveled back and forth between Yosemite and the Central Coast every other weekend for weddings and family events.

My best friend Katie and her husband Justin tied the knot in July, and I had the honor of being a bridesmaid.


Aside from all the wedding festivities, some of the highlights of the summer included:
  • Wawona's Old Fashioned Fourth of July, during which I dressed in costume and staffed the History Center.



  • Backpacking with Dad near Vogelsang Pass
Overlooking the Clark Range at the Pass


Dad at our camp next to Vogelsang Lake




Alpinglow on Vogelsang Lake




  • Participating in an Ahwahneechee cultural demonstration and learning how to prepare acorn in the traditional way.


  • Lots of fun barn dances



  • Hiking off trail to Mount Savage and having quite an adventure trying to find the way back.
My friend Laura tries to triangulate using a map and compass. It worked...eventually.

  • Participating in the "Tenaya Lake Yacht Club": a regatta of rafts taking a leisurely float across an alpine lake while sipping champagne--good thing I had just had my 21st birthday!
Our trusty vessel



My fearless companions pose with the club flag.


Overall, it was a fabulous summer full of great memories. I'm already looking forward to next season!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a lot of fun! You did a nice job covering the highlights of the summer but you missed a few: time spent in the History Center, Staff meetings, and road construction!

    ReplyDelete